Sunday, August 12, 2007

Just socks.

It has been too unbearably hot to work on any project other than the small, innocuous sock. So... that's all I have to show to you.


IMG_4758.JPG

I'm using Wendy's Generic Toe-Up Sock Pattern, that I've added a stitch called Grating Stitch from Mon Tricot Knitting Dictionary, modified to be knit in the round. Rather than a provisional cast-on, I used an invisible cast-on, because I suck at crochet.

There are two exciting things about this pair of socks. First, and most life-changingly phenomenal, are the heels and toes. I took a photo of the heel.

IMG_4755.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

Please note: NO HOLES! Thanks to a comment by Elgia, I checked out Misocrafty's Short Row Heel Tutorial. Knitters, this tutorial has revolutionized the way I make socks. It's so simple, and so effective. If you have problems with sloppy short rows, definitely try her method.

The other exciting thing is the yarn. It's TOFUtsies by SWTC, which I purchased the minute I saw it at Purl Diva. The fabric is sturdy like wool, but has an interesting drape due to the Soysilk, Cotton and (I presume) Chitin. Plus, I just love that I'm making socks using shellfish shells. The color, which is very bright in the skein, mellows out a little when knit, and the finished fabric is a nice, soft lime color. I will definitely be picking up some more of this yarn. And, even though I had my doubts, there appears to be more than enough yarn in a single skein for a pair of socks. Amazing.

Well, it's time for me to hit the road. Speaking of Purl Diva, I'm on way over there now to get the yarn for that sweater dress in the fall issue of VK that's been giving me fits. Time to crank up the A/C, I'm ready for some fall knitting!

5 comments:

Minerva Turkey said...

These are absolutely lovely. Great job!

Amy said...

Oh my gosh what great heels! Love the color, too.

Anonymous said...

Funny, what's kept me away from tofutsies is not only the prize, but the fact that I'd be knitting with crabshells and lobster torsos... I really should shut up because the yarn looks beautiful and I can see why you love it. Besides, recycling and creating something useful and pretty in the process sounds great.

Marlena said...

Thanks for the compliments!

Pioggia: I also thought it was very strange that someone decided to make yarn out of shells, but hey, if it works! And I hadn't even thought of the recycling aspect. That's pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

I love that stitch, it has awesome texture without being overwhelming.