Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Hey, Jealousy

Okay. So I've been reading everyone's stories about Maryland Sheep and Wool, and I can barely see straight through the haze of jealousy. I am about ten times more excited about Rhinebeck now. Didn't I mention? Amy and I are totally going! I can hardly wait until October, and I keep checking the website to see if they've updated the workshop schedule yet. I've never taken a workshop before, and I'd love to learn something new.

In other news, I quelled my jealousy somewhat by casting on with the STR, kindly given to me by Amy last summer. See, I just got my Summer issue of IK in the mail, and while most of the patterns didn't thrill me, I was intrigued by the toe-up sock tutorial by Ann Budd. In it, she describes a different cast on, called an Eastern cast on, where you cast on just a few stitches and increase to make your toe. Seeing as I can't stand provisional cast-ons (they make me nervous), I had to try it out right away. Took a few tries, but I ended up with a decent looking edge (little loose, but I'll tighten it up with the tail at the end). I'm going to try to increase until the yarn stops pooling and knit from there, but I'm not sure it's going to work. I'm reaching maximum circumference right now, and the yarn is starting to really stack up. I'll give it a few more rounds before I decide for good.


IMG_3803.JPG

Just because I'm making eyes at another project doesn't mean I've abandoned the Puff Sleeve Feminine Cardigan! I thought I was finished with the increase section, but when I used all of my US5 circulars (um, I have way more than I thought, including another 32" one) to hold stitches and tried it on my dress form, I saw immediately that I would need to do some more increases. As it stands, the sleeve holes will be way too small. So I'm plugging along, trying to drown my discouragement in the delectable yarn. (It's working!) I have created a new mantra to get me through the long, lonely rows. "In a few more rows I'll have half as many stitches." Just knowing that all of those sleeve stitches will be cast aside gives me the push I need to make it through. When my discipline really begins to waver, I look at a photo of the finished cardigan and imagine myself wearing it. The little things we do to finish!

IMG_3811.JPG

I love how those blue flecks really shine in the sunlight, but when I'm knitting away in the living room, I don't see them at all. I'm embarking on a love affair with tweed, I think. And just in time! I have a giant cone of green tweed in the stash with a 2003 vintage!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Good luck with the STR! I hope your plan works out.

Good job with the puff-sleeve cardi. It will look PHENOMENAL and you can even wear it to Rhinebeck!