Saturday, April 21, 2007

All About Brown

I didn't really think about it when I placed the order, but when I opened my packet from WEBS, my newest obsession became apparent.


365_183

I think I'm developing a thing for brown. In my stash, I have a bag of Debbie Bliss Wool Cotton in deep brown, some cascade 220 in brown, and a whole cube of the brown spectrum. I need to start knitting some brown stuff! In a break from tradition, I not only bought this yarn with specific projects in mind, but I plan to make them soon, meaning there will be less chance that I'll change my mind and the yarn will languish. The tweed yarn is for the Puff-Sleeve Feminine Cardigan from Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel, and the 220 Superwash is for a vest from the same book. The more I see finished objects from that book, the more I like all of the patterns, even the ones I thought I would never, ever make. I think the Puff Sleeve cardigan will be interesting in the tweed, since it's such a rustic looking yarn (the colorway is called Granary for heaven's sake), and the pattern is so overtly feminine. I can't wait! I'm trying to stay on task though and at least finish the February baby sweater before I start swatching.


IMG_3672.JPG

I'm working on sleeve one right now. This is a fun project, but I'm always taken by surprise when I knit with cotton, how little I can knit before I have to take a break. I have a feeling that I won't be meeting my Quick-Fix goal of four projects in April (though hey, kinda... I finished CWT), but I'm okay with that. I still plan to make Rusted Root next. I will probably work on it at the same time as I do the Puff Sleeve Cardigan. I picked through my yarn basket yesterday, and discovered that I had balled up some sock yarn, too, so I'll need to find some patterns for those! I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Roza's Socks by Grumperina with some powder blue Lorna's Laces (fitting, since I won the yarn in a Jaywalker contest), but I'm not sure what to do with the STR yet.

In other news, my boyfriend went to California and brought back Victorian Lace Today! I have one word: WOW! Being a lace novice, I am a little intimidated by some of the projects, but adore 95% of the stuff in there. Will I make it all? Probably not, but it sure is nice to look at! I plan to start with one of the scarves and then move on to a shawl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, lace! I hope you like it. I'm not much into lace but the few lacy things I've attempted have made me very happy.

Amy said...

I'm so glad you got VLT! The yarn you got from WEBS looks positively scrumptious.

It's hard to tell what the February jacket looks like from the in-progress shot, but I love the color of that cotton.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marlena, I too am going to make something out of Victorian Lace Today. I've done plenty of lace before but one of my more adept lace-knitting customers suggested I do the sample lace swatch from the book called Gossamer Web Design Collection: Three Orenburg Shawls to Knit to get practice picking up the stitches for the border. There are two books with similar names by the same author, so if you do go the same route make sure you get the one I mentioned.