Thursday, July 05, 2007

Ramblings

I don't have any actual knitting pictures to share (for shame!), but will let you know that Rusted Root is so close to finished, I'm starting to forget it's a WIP. Two rows of ribbing on the hem, then just collar and sleeves. Easy-peasy, and I might have an FO to show this weekend.

Last weekend was my birthday, and I went on a Puffin Cruise out of Boothbay Harbor. I love birds, though I'm not an avid bird watcher or anything, and I've always wanted to see a puffin. Fortunately, that's not too big an order to fill, since the southernmost nesting place in the world for puffins is just off the coast of Maine on Eastern Egg Rock. I was expecting an egg shaped island with a bunch of birds sitting on it, but it's actually called Egg Rock not because of its shape, but because it's where the seabirds go to lay their eggs. I was not prepared for the vision of hundreds of birds flying around in one spot.


IMG_4329.JPG

As is my wont on nature trips, I didn't try to take many pictures, and instead concentrated on finding the cute little puffins (they are so small!), and watching all of the terns and eiders and cormorants and gulls wheeling about over the water. It was incredible, and I'm sure I'll go again.

I also did some yarn shopping! One of my favorite yarn shops is closing for retirement. While that makes me sad, I'm pretty okay with it, since the owners are closing because they want to, not because they have to, and because now I have Purl Diva to fill the void. Also, the closing yarn store, Willows End is pretty freaking far away from me, so I hardly ever got to go there anyway. I scored a great deal on some Berocco Suede for Coachella, as well as twelve hanks of Classic Elite Renaissance in a fabulous dark charcoal gray. I'm not sure what to do with that yet, but I think it will be cabled.

IMG_4348.JPG


Speaking of Purl Diva, on my way back home, I decided to stop in and pick up two things I had been thinking about since I attended my first ever knitting group there days before. Jo Sharp's Knit, volume 2, out of which I am most excited about the Ladder Stitch Cardigan and a lacy cabled pullover (I'm hoping Pure Silk will work for that), and a hank of Dream in Colors Gaia sock yarn.

IMG_4354.JPG

It feels wonderful in the hank! It's a little heavier than I'm used to using for socks, but I think it will make nice, cheerful boot socks for winter. Who wouldn't love a little summer sky on their feet then!?

One last thing: I might be the last person in blogland to discover this, but did you know that WEBS has download-able knitting patterns? I purchased some yesterday and they were emailed today as .pdfs. I'm pretty psyched about the Deep Breath Sweater (which disappointingly doesn't have a picture on the site), a raglan pullover made with laceweight yarn and US8 needles. Also, if you do decide to order a pattern or two (or four), note that a shipping charge will show up on your invoice, but you will not be charged for the shipping when your order is complete. I was worried about that, but relieved this morning when I saw that I was only charged for the patterns.

Enough of my yammering! What's getting your senses tingling nowadays?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, such pretty yarn

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!! :)

Adrienne said...

I love that yarn!

Anonymous said...

Argh! Too hot to think of winter boot socks! And yet, the colorway is very pretty indeed.

Marlena said...

Pioggia: I simulate winter in the summer by sitting right in front of my air conditioner in my bedroom until I have to put on a sweatshirt and wool socks. I hate the heat!

Parikha: Thank you!