Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hooray!

I think this may well be my first FO for June, I'll have to look back. Anyway, these socks were so worth the wait! I blocked them last night, because they looked seriously bad, all limp and wonky, and while the stitches straightened out, the Roza's Socks didn't look much more lively this morning.


IMG_4304.JPG

I should have taken a photo with something for scale, because this photo doesn't really show just how shriveled and tiny these socks look fresh out of the bath. I've made baby sweaters with larger hand openings than these socks appear to have to adult feet. But then! The socks are put on, and something wonderful happens!

IMG_4307.JPG

Remember how I said that the Jaywalkers hugged my feet perfectly? I take it back. These socks are more than perfect! As I slipped them on, they conformed perfectly to my feet, and went on so easily. I haven't taken them off since I took these pictures. While the pattern is awesome, I think it probably shares some of the credit for comfort with the yarn. I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Powder Blue, a yarn I won in a Jaywalker contest! Let the circle be unbroken, indeed. While I've had Lorna's Laces Sock in my stash for awhile, this is my first time actually using it, and, and, I think I'm in love.

IMG_4310.JPG

The fabric is soft and squishy, and I love the incredibly subtle variegation of the yarn. This is how I wish Socks That Rock shaded solids would behave. The variations in color are just enough to add some depth and interest to the fabric, but not enough to detract from a patterned piece. Love. It. I'm sure I will make another pair of these, as they are just as mindless as stockinette, but so much more interesting. Since the finished pattern is very much like rib, I think these could also work in a variegated yarn, but that subtle patterning won't show as much.

IMG_4313.JPG

Some details, since I feel like I might have skimmed over those.
pattern: Roza's Socks, by Grumperina, appearing in the Spring 2007 issue of Interweave Knits
yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Powder Blue
needles: US1

Now on to completing Rusted Root and starting my first fair isle sock! Tomorrow I'm hitting a huge yarn sale and taking a cruise to look for puffins for my birthday! Twenty-twelve, here I come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy early birthday! if your birthday is tomorrow then you have the same as birthday as Jo!

Katie Collette said...

Pretty socks!

Happy early birthday!