Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Memory Walk

So, you may recall that a few entries ago, I mentioned the Alzheimer's Association's Memory Walk. I've walked every year since 2003, and I love it! It's an amazing experience, with hundreds of family members and caregivers coming together for a common cause. A lot of headway has been made in Alzheimer's research, but there still isn't a cure. Anyone who has ever known someone afflicted with this disease knows about how isolating and lonely it is, and has seen how it robs people of their independence. It's commonly known as "The Long Goodbye," a fitting description, since as people progress through the disease, they gradually forget shared memories and, as most people know, family members. I work with people who have Alzheimer's Disease, and it's difficult enough to get to know them for a short time... I can't imagine how hard it must be for family members and friends.

Anyway, it makes me feel productive to do something to help these people, so I walk the Walk. For the last few years, I've wanted to find a way to incorporate knitting and yarn into my fundraising, and this year, thanks to Ellen, I have a way!

Ellen has generously offered her porch to me on September 29th to hold a destashing sale for donations for the Alzheimer's Association! I'll be there from 11-4 selling her stash and mine. I'm really looking forward to meeting some more knitters and having some quality knitting time while working for a cause I love.

And, of course, I'm asking for help! There are a couple of ways you can help:
1. Buy yarn at the sale! I do also plan to offer a preview of my stash offerings for people who can't make it to Brunswick, Maine. Ellen said she would also offer a preview. Details on previews will be forthcoming.
2. Donate yarn to the sale! Email me at sassy_spice1975 at yahoo dot com for my mailing address. Any other stash yarn I receive besides my own, I will also offer for preview, so it would be great if I could have it by the week before the sale. If you're in the area, you can also drop off donations at Purl Diva.
3. Donate! Even if (for some weird reason) you're not interested in yarn, but still want to donate, there are a couple of methods for doing so. You can mail me a check (see email address above for mailing address), or donate via credit card to my fundraising site.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and a special, huge thanks to Ellen for the idea, and the space!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's very nice of you to work that hard for a noble cause. I'm really far away from Maine and, I must confess, not in a spending mood, but that's a different story. Good luck with your fundraising!