Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 2: Songs

I've been thinking over this post since before I even started this meme. I love music, all different kinds, and have for my entire life, so choosing just two songs has seemed impossible. Do I go with firsts? (First album I owned on my own: Like a Virgin. First song that made me realize there was a whole world of music out there not on the radio: The Only Time by Nine Inch Nails.) Should I choose two of my most recent obsessions? Songs I can't stop listening to? (Because that's another thing; when I discover a song/album that I love, I listen to it on repeat for days, and when I'm not listening to it, it's playing in my head.) Or maybe a couple of songs with some history attached? The song that always reminds me of dancing in the kitchen with my dad, or the song I loved as a kid that I had no idea was so filthy. (Sugar Walls,, I'm looking at you!) In the end, I'm choosing two songs that I listen to when I'm feeling sad, hopeless, a little down... songs I can count on to make me feel happier and stronger, more able.

The first is from one of my favorite singers of all time, the inimitable Dolly Parton. I've loved Dolly since I was a little girl (my dad loved her too), and I just think she's so talented and positive. She's on the list of people I hope to get a chance to meet some day, even though I am certain I will make a fool out of myself!




(Bonus! Amy Sedaris is in this video!)

The second song is very different from Dolly! What I love about this song is that it's about powering through adversity and sadness, much like Dolly's song is, but in a much more aggressive tone. It's A Better Son/Daughter by Rilo Kiley. There isn't a video for it, so I chose one that shows the lyrics.


No comments: