Thursday, September 28, 2006

We Interrupt the Knitting for an Important Announcement

Every year, the Alzheimer's Association holds a Memory Walk to raise money for research and support groups. This year will be my fourth walk, and it is in 10 days! If you've never known anyone with Alzheimer's Disease, it is an extremely lonely disease, and so much worse than losing memories. People with this disease forget friends, family, and eventually, themselves. The most heartbreaking moment I've experienced was when I first started at the home where I work. A woman pulled me aside and pointed to a man down the hall she had just met. She said, "See that man? He's an old friend of mine. I know he is. But I don't remember him. I can't remember anything. I don't remember myself. Who am I?" And she started to cry. She wasn't like this every day, but she was cognitive of the changes in her mind, and felt afraid. I will never forget that afternoon. I have been fortunate that no one in my family has this disease, but I've seen the affect it has on caregivers, family, friends, and the person with the disease. I would love all the help I can get raising money toward this worthy cause. I have a web page set up to receive donations here. I can also accept mailed checks (made out to the Alzheimer's Association-Maine Chapter). Just send me an email asking for my address to sassy_spice1975 at yahoo dot com. Thanks so much!

No comments: